Trauma, Grief and Suicide Prevention Resources
Smithville ISD is providing informational resources for parents and caregivers to talk to their children about grief and trauma. Also, comprehensive information on suicide prevention and intervention is available. School counselors are available to address your questions and concerns, please contact your campus directly to request these services for your child as needed.
High School: Sarah Vinklarek
Junior High: Stacy Campbell
Smithville Elementary: Nikki Williams
The Parents Trauma Resource Center is an excellent tool for parents and caregivers to easily find detailed information about grief and trauma. Included in this site are:
- Information describing typical grief and trauma reactions and the difference between the two.
- Ways parents can help their child, as well as help themselves.
- Ways to deal with specific concerns, like behavioral problems, sexual abuse, war, terrorism, and more.
- Specific information for all age groups – infants, toddlers, children and adolescents.
- Specific detailed activities for parents to use to engage their children and to help calm their anxieties.
- Recommended books and resources on grief and trauma.
- Helpful links to other websites for specific information
Link to the website: http://tlcinstitute.org/PTRCtrauma.html
Texas Suicide Support Groups - Austin
Austin Survivors of Suicide
6507 Woodcrest Dr., Austin, TX 78759
Contact: Linda Davis, 512-560-6115 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting Place: St. David's North Austin Medical Center, Suite C, Austin, TX 78758
Meeting Times: First and third Tuesday of every month from 6:30-8 pm
Facilitated by peers, no charge
Counties Served: All are welcome
For the Love of Christi - Loss of Loved Ones to Homicide and Suicide / Violent Crime Victims
2306 Hancock Dr., Austin, TX 78756
Christi Center: 512-467-2600
Meeting Place: Christi Center Annex at the Hancock address, above
Meeting Time: Please call for details
Facilitated by staff and peers, no charge
Counties Served: All are welcome, newsletter available