How does the District handle visitors on campus?
All visitor must check-in at the campus office and show a valid driver’s license. This is scanned through our Raptor Visitor Management System, then a visitor badge is printed. Anyone not able to provide a license to be scanned will not be allowed to enter the school.
What are teachers trained to do in the event of an active shooter?
Teachers and staff throughout the District are trained in Standard Response Protocol. This is a proven method that has been developed by the “I Love You Guys” Foundation and is used in over 30,000 schools and businesses worldwide.
What updates or changes have been implemented to increase safety on SISD campuses?
In 2018, SISD participated in a safety audit of all campuses and facilities. Based on the recommendations from the auditors, the District developed a plan for implementing safeguards to address areas that needed improvement. These items include, but are not limited to:
- Installation of fencing around the Brown Primary and Elementary campuses to limit access
- Installation of cameras and controlled access for Junior High campus
- Implementation of the Raptor Visitor Management system throughout the District
- High School Security upgrades to include additional cameras, a secure entry vestibule, and access controls
- 44 additional cameras installed at Elementary campus
Has everyone in Smithville Police Department received active shooter training?
In the event Smithville PD is unable to respond, does Bastrop County have the same training?
Yes, Bastrop County Sheriff’s Office is available to respond if needed.
Does Smithville PD have access to buildings, keys, remote access to cameras in event of active shooter?
Yes, SPD has the ability to access any area on campus if the need arises
What are the future plans for additional security on SISD campuses?
SISD is arranging to have another safety audit performed in the 2022-2023 school year to assess our current safety precautions and obtain feedback on where we can make improvements. Based on this feedback we, along with the Safety and Security Committee and Board of Trustees, will decide what additional safety measures should be implemented. Some of the projects that are already in the works are:
- Installation of “panic buttons” at Brown Primary and Elementary campuses
- Fencing around exterior buildings at High School
- Access control at Elementary nurse’s station
**If you have other questions, please email [email protected] and we will answer them as quickly as possible.