Local stakeholders can now submit their views on needs Smithville ISD should address with federal funding from COVID-19 relief bills passed by the U.S. Congress.
In 2020 and 2021, Congress passed three stimulus bills that provide funding to the Elementary and Secondary Emergency Education Relief – or ESSER – Fund. States, including Texas, are now distributing portions of those funds to local education agencies such as Smithville ISD and other school districts. The American Rescue Plan passed in March 2021 provided supplemental funding known as ESSER III, and education agencies are in the process of determining how to spend that funding in meaningful, evidence-based manners.
As required by ESSER III grant guidelines, Smithville ISD is now seeking stakeholder input to prepare to address the following needs of students and staff:
- The academic impact of lost instructional time.
- The district's response to the academic, social, emotional, and mental health needs of all students.
- The district's response to the academic, social, emotional, and mental health needs of students disproportionately impacted by the COVID–19 pandemic. This includes students from low-income families, students of color, English learners, children with disabilities, students experiencing homelessness, children in foster care and migratory students.
- Mitigating safety measures for safe operations of schools for in-person learning.
Community feedback in these four areas serves vital planning and preparation purposes as the district strives to meet the needs of its learning community. Smithville ISD is providing several options for the community to provide the needed feedback.
- Complete the survey at the link below by July 1, 2021.
- Attend a public meeting to discuss ideas regarding the use of ESSER III funds in Smithville ISD.
- July 1, 2021, 6:00 PM, Smithville ISD Administration Building Auditorium, 901 NE 6th Street, Smithville, Texas 78957
- July 6, 2021, 6:00 PM, Smithville ISD Administration Building Auditorium, 901 NE 6th Street, Smithville, Texas 78957
- Attend a public hearing prior to the Smithville ISD School Board meeting on July 19, 2021. The public hearing will begin at 6:00 PM.
ESSER III Public Meeting Summary & Survey Results Overview - July 2021